Annual Class Council meeting and Urban Resources Initiative intern presentation
Twenty of 36 Class Council members attended. See the photo below, in which are (seated left to right) Will Elting, Jim Baxter, Al Rossiter, Waldo Johnston, Steve Norman, Tony Lee, Don Edwards, Bill Galvin, and (standing left to right) Chris Getman, John Evans, Pete Putzel, Jim Bowers, Ward Wickwire, Mike Price, Edward Massey, Terry Holcombe, Larry Crutcher, Jon McBride, Wayne Batcheler, Sam Francis, and Tony Lavely.
Your Class Council held its annual meeting on February 2, 2013, fortuitously the weekend between two New England blizzards. Key agenda topics were:
- Class Treasury Report (by Chip Brennan in absentia): 2012-13 class dues contributions are on schedule and the Class treasury is solvent with appropriate allocations for our upcoming 50th Class Reunion and Class Book
- 50th Reunion Leadership Committee Report (by Pete Putzel): The official date for our 50th Reunion has been confirmed by Yale as May 29 - June 1, 2014
- Check the Class website regularly for updates under "Reunions." With input from many classmates, the Leadership and Program Committees have developed topics and presenter/panelists for what promises to be our most engaging reunion ever.
- 50th Reunion Attendance Committee (by Tony Lee): Residential College Captains are all in place and working towards the goal of a record-setting attendance. Eighty-six percent of classmates have registered email addresses with the Class, which greatly facilitates communications at minimal cost and with environmental benefits.
- 50th Reunion Class Book Report (by Larry Crutcher): A strong team of editors has been assembled to publish a comprehensive Class Book that will seek current biographical information and personal essays from all classmates via a web-based form that has been successfully used by other classes. The Class Book will be published before the reunion.
- Alumni Fund Report (by Ward Wickwire): 2012-13 contributions to the Yale Alumni Fund are ahead of schedule compared to prior years, both in percentages and dollar contributions.
- AYA Representative Report (by Steve Norman): The AYA Assembly held in November 2012 was focused on the theme "Answering the Call to Service." The Council asked the Secretary to canvass classmates as to their personal community service projects.
- Class Website Report (by Sam Francis): A overview of the current and significantly enhanced website was presented. A Google Analytics report was also presented showing traffic to the website.
- 2014 Nominating Process (by Will Elting): Four new Class Council members were added to the Class Council: Jim Bowers, Peter Bradford, Mac Deford, and Al Rossiter. The Nominating Committee will develop a slate of Class Officers and new Council Members for discussion at the 2014 Council Meeting and adoption at our 2014 Class Reunion.
As the finale to the meeting, the Class Council heard an internship report from the Urban Resources Initiative, focusing on the activities of our intern, Jancy Morgan Langley (pictured at left below), who was partially funded by our Class treasury. URI management was represented by Colleen Murphy-Dunning (pictured at right below), who is the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies URI Program Coordinator. Scroll below these photos to see the excellent report given by Jancy. Following her presentation, the Class Council voted to increase the 2014 Class stipend — given in memory of Strachan Donnelley — to $7700, thereby supporting one intern in full.